Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fair at New Boston - Bigger & Better Than Ever!

The Fair at New Boston prides itself on authenticity. I found out just how into their characters the re-enactors get when I visited the fair with my family. Bill Smith, the former Kenton Ridge High School coach and teacher, is known as "the Ratkatcher" around the fair grounds. I was talking to this character and only a few days later did I realize I was talking with a long-time acquaintance.
When these characters are in costume and roaming the grounds, intermingling with visitors to their time period, they never step out of their roles and into the 21st century. What a great asset this event is to Springfield and Clark County and one that draws participants and visitors from throughout Ohio and neighboring states. Enacting a time period of 1790-1810, it continues to grow each year.
It had been a few years since I attended the fair. It was much bigger than I remember. It's the unofficial kick off to the local festival season. South Vienna's Corn Festival, Enon's Apple Butter Festival, New Carlisle's Festival of Flight, Springfield's CultureFest and Oktoberfest are a few of the other local fall festivals we can look forward to each year. Have a great Chamber day!

No comments:

Post a Comment